Skip to main content

LBJ (2016) - ★☆☆☆☆

I'm horrified! They should not have done this to Woody! Why did they need to make his ears so damn big? And get rid of his beautiful blue eyes?? I had a specific memory of watching an HBO movie about LBJ in 2016 and liking it, so I was expecting this to be good—little did I know, HBO made two movies about LBJ in 2016 and this is apparently the bad one! And when I say bad, I mean bad! Etc., etc.

There's a much more important issue that needs to be discussed. 

Please take a moment to think about this question:

What color hair did JFK have?

If you said dark grey, you'd be like me. I mean, look at this picture and tell me that's not what color it is!

Well, color me surprised, because apparently this is a black and white photo and that means that even though everything in it looks to be various shades of grey, that's actually due to a specific type of photographic technology which is not capable of reproducing colors. 

Okay. Fine. Whatever. If this picture is concealing actual colors, that must mean JFK's hair was brown or something, right? I mean, take a look at this picture:

Those hairs certainly look like a mousy brown to me!

So imagine my surprise when this fellow appeared on screen in HBO's LBJ


As you can see, this young man's hair is very clearly red. Now, I don't have any problem with red hair—I actually think it's quite nice—but I could not believe that in a movie so devoted to (admittedly somewhat flubbed) visual accuracy that they would make Woody wear an entire prosthetic helmet to look like LBJ, a guy with a not extremely distinctive look, they'd mess up the hair of one of the most famous Americans in recent history. 

It was time for some research.

First, I asked my mom, because I thought she might know. Here's how that went:



But then I realized the terrible mistake I had made—my mom was born five months after JFK's assassination—she was not a primary source at all! 

That left me with only one option: turning to an authority on the topic. Fortunately, I came across a fellow blogger's blog post on the topic of JFK's hair color. The blog is called "Red Hair Myths" which leads me to believe this keyboard warrior is an expert on the topic. The mysterious blogger, identified only as "Neil" concludes that JFK's hair must have been a sort of "chestnut," and one which maybe varied based on the amount of sun the president was getting. I would have been happy to stop there, but I just so happened to scroll down to the comments.

WARNING: what I found next may surprise you.


Well! Talk about an authoritative source! This person, at the age of five years old, actually saw JFK in person. They provide us with many authenticating details, such as the name of their kindergarten teacher, the kind of car Kennedy was driving, and the street on which it all occurred. This mysterious commenter even provides us with ANOTHER primary source to prove their point. I see no reason to doubt this anonymous commenter, nor to question their final conjecture that JFK must have used hair dye (maybe that's what got on Jackie's famous pink suit!).

Myth: busted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) - ★☆☆☆☆

People are always asking me, "Fiona, why, on your quest to watch every Woody Harrelson movie, are you including movies that you absolutely know you will hate, and that Woody is only in for two seconds, appearing as himself, in the last minute of the movie? Wouldn't it be easier to simply find clips of Woody's performances in these movies rather than subjecting yourself to the grueling two hours it would take to watch the whole thing?" I'd like to answer their questions with a few of my own: How will I truly understand Woody's performance in such movies if I don't watch the whole thing? Would a true fan of Woody Harrelson not subject themselves to the greatest pain to support him? How could I claim to be the world's foremost Woody Harrelson expert if I did not watch the entirety of every movie that he appears in? The answers to these questions are, respectively, "I couldn't!" "They would!" and "I couldn't!" So here ...

The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996) - ★★★★★

In lieu of our usual programming, I present you today with an ode to the outfits of Larry Flynt.  This was a good movie which I enjoyed.

Transsiberian (2008) - ★★★★☆

If you're not familiar with Andrew Lloyd Webber's seminal classic, Starlight Express,  it's likely we've never met, for hardly a conversation goes by in which I do not find the opportunity to bring it up. Under the unlikely circumstances that you are not familiar with the piece, I'll offer a brief description, and then, assuming that your interest has been suitable peaked, leave you to do further research on your own.  Starlight Express is a 1984 masterpiece from the mind of the one and only Andrew Lloyd Webber, creator of such hits as Cats , Jesus Christ Superstar , The Phantom of the Opera , and  The Phantom of the Opera' s sequel, Love Never Dies , which, naturally, takes place at Coney Island. Starlight Express  is the first musical which was ever performed fully on rollerblades. Why does every single actor in the show wear rollerblades, you ask? The answer, really, is quite simple—they're all trains! While Starlight Express wasn't a major hit in the...