Skip to main content

Welcome to Sarajevo (1997) - ★★★★☆


The date is June 3rd (at least, that was the date when I watched this movie). There are fifty days until July 23rd, which is Woody Harrelson's birthday and the date I have chosen for this prestigious film festival to come to an end. I'm no mathematician, but I've done the calculations, and I believe that means I have to watch approximately one movie every two days until July 23rd in order to reach this goal. So, that's what I'm doing. Like the great Gregg Turkington did in his quest to watch #500moviesin500days, I'm even going to take it at a faster pace than that to start, so if something comes up I'll be ahead and able to finish nonetheless. I'm not saying it will be easy—but we don't do things because they are easy. We do them because they are hard.

And finding a way to watch Free Jimmy, a 2008 English dub of the 2006 Norwegian CGI-animated stoner circus comedy certainly will be hard. But that's a problem for another day.

Today's problem is determining what exactly I should write about Welcome to Sarajevo, a movie I have no jokes to make about. It was nice, and sad, and good, and Woody didn't wear any hats in it. That'll have to be enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996) - ★★★★★

In lieu of our usual programming, I present you today with an ode to the outfits of Larry Flynt.  This was a good movie which I enjoyed.

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) - ★☆☆☆☆

People are always asking me, "Fiona, why, on your quest to watch every Woody Harrelson movie, are you including movies that you absolutely know you will hate, and that Woody is only in for two seconds, appearing as himself, in the last minute of the movie? Wouldn't it be easier to simply find clips of Woody's performances in these movies rather than subjecting yourself to the grueling two hours it would take to watch the whole thing?" I'd like to answer their questions with a few of my own: How will I truly understand Woody's performance in such movies if I don't watch the whole thing? Would a true fan of Woody Harrelson not subject themselves to the greatest pain to support him? How could I claim to be the world's foremost Woody Harrelson expert if I did not watch the entirety of every movie that he appears in? The answers to these questions are, respectively, "I couldn't!" "They would!" and "I couldn't!" So here ...

Transsiberian (2008) - ★★★★☆

If you're not familiar with Andrew Lloyd Webber's seminal classic, Starlight Express,  it's likely we've never met, for hardly a conversation goes by in which I do not find the opportunity to bring it up. Under the unlikely circumstances that you are not familiar with the piece, I'll offer a brief description, and then, assuming that your interest has been suitable peaked, leave you to do further research on your own.  Starlight Express is a 1984 masterpiece from the mind of the one and only Andrew Lloyd Webber, creator of such hits as Cats , Jesus Christ Superstar , The Phantom of the Opera , and  The Phantom of the Opera' s sequel, Love Never Dies , which, naturally, takes place at Coney Island. Starlight Express  is the first musical which was ever performed fully on rollerblades. Why does every single actor in the show wear rollerblades, you ask? The answer, really, is quite simple—they're all trains! While Starlight Express wasn't a major hit in the...